Should I Marry Overseas for Marriage Visa at Consulate? | Immigration Law Group, LLC


Determine where you would like to marry

Often times, navigating the immigration legal system is a challenge as we must balance our real-life decisions with the legal requirements to immigrate to the U.S. If you and your loved one decide to get married overseas, the good news is U.S. immigration recognizes marriages registered in countries internationally.

File the petition in the U.S.

The process of helping your spouse to immigrate to the U.S. can take upwards of a year. The first step is to file the family-based petition with USCIS. Our immigration lawyer will guide you through the preparation phase to the filing of the petition and ensure that it will have the greatest chance of approval. Once approved, the petition is then transferred to the National Visa Center and finally the Consulate abroad where your spouse is located closest to. Our attorney can also assist with this “Consular Processing” in a timely and efficient manner leading up to scheduling your spouse’s visa interview.

Reunite with your spouse

Once your spouse’s visa is granted, he/she will have 180 days to enter the U.S. and thereafter become a lawful permanent resident. The green card will subsequently be mailed to your U.S. address. The process of obtaining a green card for your spouse overseas can feel long and challenging. Our firm is committed to ensuring that all applications and documents filed are correct and submitted in a timely manner. This will save valuable time for you and your loved one to be reunited as soon as immigration laws allow. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.